- Spotify grew its global workforce by 33% to 6,554 staffers in 2020.
- Insider analyzed public US work-visa data to see how much Spotify pays for certain roles.
- The streaming-music company offered base salaries between $60,000 and $260,000 in 2020 and 2021.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
This post has been updated to reflect the latest available salary data.
Spotify has become the podcast home to heavy hitters including the Obamas and Joe Rogan. But they're not the only talent it's signing.
The streaming-music service grew its global workforce by 33% year over year to 6,554 staffers at the end of 2020, the company reported in March.
Spotify currently has 360 open positions its jobs website, including nearly 200 that are based in the US. It's actively recruiting for roles including senior engineering roles, a product leader to oversee home personalization, and a US agency lead.
Spotify has offered six-figure salaries for some similar roles this year, recent disclosure data showed.
Insider analyzed disclosures released by the US Office of Foreign Labor Certification for employees on work visas to shed light on what Spotify pays for certain roles. The public data revealed how much Spotify offered to pay foreign staffers its sought to hire in the US for jobs including engineering, data, and marketing roles.
It included wages from 103 foreign-labor-certification applications that were submitted by Spotify and certified between October 1, 2019 and March 31, 2021.
The vast majority of the applications were for roles based in New York and Boston, though Spotify had a few submissions for jobs in Miami and Los Angeles. The company has also started allowing employees to work from "anywhere," be it an office, coworking space, or fully remote.
The wages in the disclosure data are the minimum amounts the company declared in foreign-labor-certification applications to pay specific workers, according to US Department of Labor documentation. The salaries are based on the average compensation that similar employees with comparable qualifications in each job and industry are paid, which is known as the prevailing wage.
Companies may choose to pay employees more than the figures reflected in this data or compensate them in additional ways, like through stock options and grants. Spotify, for example, has an incentive program that offers staffers grants, which they can put toward stock options, cash bonuses, and restricted stock units.
Based on the data, Spotify offered annual base salaries ranging from $60,000 to $260,000 for various roles.
Here's a breakdown of what it offered for some of those key jobs:
Marketers — $95,000 to $190,000 base salary
Spotify offered staffers on US work visas in marketing roles annual base salaries between $94,000 and $190,000. The positions included:
- Associate director, corporate development: $185,000
- Global agency lead: $157,000
- Product marketing manager: $127,500 median; ranging from $65,000 to $190,000
- Social media/operations manager: $94,806
Researchers and specialists — $100,000 to $240,000 base salary
Spotify offered staffers on US work visas in market-research and specialist roles annual base salaries between $100,000 and $240,000. The positions included:
- Business operations analyst: $150,000
- Manager, corporate development: $140,000
- Research analyst: $100,000
- Research scientist: $178,010
- Senior business systems analyst: $170,856 median; ranging from $138,861 to $202,850
- Senior manager, premium upsell: $240,000
Product, data, and engineering jobs — $110,000 to $250,000 base salary
Spotify offered staffers on US work visas in data science and engineering roles annual base salaries between $70,000 and $250,000. The positions included:
- Android engineer: $185,000
- Associate data scientist: $125,000
- Associate machine learning engineer: $125,000
- Associate product designer: $112,805 median; ranging from $101,120 to $151,680
- Backend engineer: $149,250 median; ranging from $113,410 to $211,177
- Data engineer: $167,500 median; ranging from $60,000 to $260,000
- Data engineering manager: $190,020 to $251,741
- Data scientist: $127,500 median; ranging from $125,000 to $130,000
- Experienced developer: $163,048 median; $70,000 to $244,571
- Fullstack engineer: $141,400
- IOS engineer: $146,260 median; ranging from $132,644 to $198,966
- Machine learning engineer: $163,200 median; ranging from $140,000 to $166,400
- Product designer: $125,000 median; ranging from $124,000 to $200,000
- Product insights manager: $220,000
- Product manager: $145,092
- Robotic Process Automation business analyst: $140,000
- Robotic Process Automation developer: $121,650 median; $113,300 to $130,000
- Senior backend engineer: $181,255 median; ranging from $150,000 to $244,571
- Senior data scientist: $160,000 median; ranging from $150,000 to $160,000
- Senior engineering manager: $185,810 median; ranging from $155,000 to $216,620
- Senior machine learning engineer: $175,000 median; ranging from $165,000 to $185,000
- Senior manager, data science/analytics: $162,124 to $243,186
- Senior product manager: $215,000
- Senior product manager: $215,000
- Senior software developer: $132,644 median; ranging from $110,000 to $198,966
- Senior software engineer: $174,554 median; ranging from $130,000 to $251,741
- Senior UX writer: $150,000
- Staff engineer: $170,000
Human resources, finance, and legal — $133,390 to $185,000 base salary
Spotify offered staffers on US work visas in human resources, finance, and legal roles annual base salaries between $133,000 and $185,000. The positions included:
- Global head of diversity and inclusion: $162,500 median; $140,000 to $185,000
- HR business partner: $133,390
- Legal counsel: $170,000; ranging from $165,000 to $175,000
- Manager, internal audit: $135,960 to $179,363
- Manager, technical accounting: $167,175 median; ranging from $149,350 to $185,000
- Record to report manager: $127,000 to $159,738
Overall — $60,000 to $260,000 base salary
Overall, Spotify offered staffers on US work visas annual base salaries between $60,000 and $260,000. Other positions included:
- Artist and label marketing coordinator: $61,880
- Associate content writer: $62,500 median; ranging from $60,000 to $65,000
- Project manager: $91,000
- Senior producer: $170,000
Insider excluded from these findings data from 11 applications that were certified but withdrawn by Spotify or expired.
Spotify declined to comment on this story.